Monday, October 17, 2011

Challenge #7 - A Complete 180

As many of you may know, I recently changed jobs, and for a classroom teacher who trained to be a classroom teacher and just completed a second degree to extend her certification as a classroom teacher, this was pretty life-altering. To clarify, I did apply for this new position. I actually applied at the end of last school year with the hope that I would begin this school year as a "Consulting Teacher," working with first year teachers in my school district and formally observing them as part of the tenure track. However, I did not get the job, and so my life went on as planned.

Fast forward to the second week of school (as in last month). My classroom was all set, my students were on their way to accomplishing great things, my planning was, for once, ahead of schedule. I had vowed to make this the "best year ever." And truthfully, those first two weeks of school were really great.

Then I got an e-mail, which led to a phone call, which led to a job offer; Consulting Teacher. Evidently the school district underestimated the number of new elementary teachers it would hire for this school year, and suddenly they were asking me to leave my fledgling classroom to work with 22 of these new teachers. I had to make a decision; stay in the classroom and my comfort zone (which I had spent the entire summer psyching myself up about), or accept the job I had applied for and been denied (and for which I missed weeks of training).

Well, for those of you who actually read the first part of this post haven't given up despite my rambling... I took the job. My life has since been a complete whirlwind, though I'm finally seeing the blue skies ahead. But for a while there, I felt completely turned around.

And that brings us to the seed of this week's challenge, though admittedly it doesn't have much to do with my l-o-n-g story. I know many of us have had these type of experiences; a complete 180. And that got me thinking (in a Grandpa sort of way) about other 180s. For example, a straight line is 180 degrees, the International Date Line runs very close to 180 longitude... you get the point, right?

This week, I challenge you to post other "180s." I'm tempted to give extra credit to references outside the unit circle and Babylonian mathematics, but as always, the winner will be selected at random, so feel free to post anything you can think of! You may post as many solutions to this challenge as you'd like, and the winner will receive a prize of 180... somethings. You'll have to play to find out!

(Thank you, Teri, for reminding me to post an end date for this challenge! All entries are due by Sunday, October 23 at 5:00pm CST. Hopefully that gives everyone enough time to get math-y! Hooray for 180!)

11 comments:

  1. If you read "Quidditch Through the Ages" you will see that The Comet 180 was a broomstick released by the Comet Trading Company in 1938.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Nature's Way Prenatal Multivitamin contains 180 Capsules per bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems to me, that although you have a new job which appears to be challenging and time consuming, AND a an adorable however cute as he may be, active little 2 year old at home, and a somewhat NEEDY husband?....you still have time to come up with these mind boggling tasks for us!!! What is our time limit on this mind bender?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Year 180 (CLXXX) was a leap year starting on Friday of the Julian calendar. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my 1st introductions into the Gross Family Thanksgiving celebrations was a 180 for me! As a beautiful young Italian girl(that's me) from a very large, noisy, hearty, pasta eating family, I was used to a traditonal Thanksgiving Dinner at my Aunt Anita and Uncle Ted's house for as long as I can remember. We were all dressed up in formal attire and began our several course meal in the formal dining room with several sets of infrequently used china! The table was pre-set for 40+ and our meal began with the usual Pasta-gratata soup, then Home made Pasta with sauce and meatballs (DUH!) and followed by the traditional turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes etc..... Upon meeting my new mate Herbie..I was invited to Julia's Farm for the Gross Family Thanksgiving Dinner. With much persuasion to my mother...as I was the youngest and had no spousal committment otherwise......I was granted a "bye" from Aunt Anita's and off I was. When Herb came to pick me up he was hardly dressed appropriately for the day I was used to and was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt(I think it is still in the closet!) and I of course was dressed to the nines in my Thanksgiving attire hoping to make a memorable impression on his family! I was quickly informed that I was the one who was not dressed properly and was going to FREEZE when we took our walk thru the woods and what kind of shoes did I think I was wearing??? I curiously changed clothes and drove to the FARM with him not sure what to expect. WHAT A DAY!!! Everyone was helping in the kitchen, we were not being SERVED by my one aunt who wasn't married.....there wasn't the china that you were afraid to use, people were laughing, playing, running around outside, and there was NO PASTA!!! I was STUNNED by the REAL SHEEP in the back yard!!! was I in the right place??? WHERE WAS I?? Sadly (altho I do have fond memories) I chose to never return to the Mazza Family Thanksgiving....this was far more FUN and it is exactly how I have modeled Thanksgiving Day for my own family. It is the greatest holiday together and I always look forward to it!!! As much as I love my Italian Family and our traditions..I am forever grateful to the Gross Family for opening my eyes to an awesome new way of celebrating THANKSGIVING DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had my motorcycle up to 90 mph twice, for a total of _ _ _ mph. (Do the math)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited that I actually have something to add!! I am currently on an IV medication that runs for 3 hours or 180 minutes!!! Yea me!!

    Kris (Carissa's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO....on another visit to Julia's Farm after my intial Thanksgiving visit.....I was gazing out the kitchen window and curiously asked "so where are the sheep"? To my shock the response was "in the freezer!" I believe that qualifies as a 180!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 180s? Hhhhmmm, I’ve definitely got some comments on that concept. How about going from retirement to a new job? Actually I would recommend that type of 180 to anyone who has the opportunity. I had a great time working with teachers and kids. But who knew it could get even better? I actually look forward to “working” at the Kiel Public Library. But is it work when you are having so much fun?

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I watched Caleb playing/pounding the piano last night, I was surprised to see a new, very tricky technique. He sat on the bench, facing the middle of the room, and reached his hands behind his back to strike the keys. I would say he has 180ยบ talent!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, I waited until everyone had a chance to post before adding mine, a 180 that I think about often and count down throughout the school year... the minimum number of days of school is 180!

    ReplyDelete